July 7, 2017
The One Beauty Step You are Probably Skipping
So you've invested in the right skincare products for your skin, and you religiously cleanse, tone and moisturize but your skin still seems to be lacking that glow. You wonder: am I missing something?
You just might be skipping this one beauty step that can work wonders for your complexion: facial steaming.
Oily and normal skin types benefit the most from facial steaming
Facial steaming is usually something that most of us will enjoy in a spa, but there's no reason why you shouldn't incorporate it as part of your weekend beauty pampering at home. At-home steaming can be done with a facial steamer, with warm towels, or with a bowl of steaming water. Steaming allows you to deep clean your pores and exfoliate without harsh scrubbing. It also increases blood circulation to the facial skin, helping it look more dewy and youthful. After steaming, skin is more receptive to other skincare treatments, optimizing the absorption of active ingredients from your serum and moisturizer.
You can actually do facial steaming with water alone, or you can take it a step further by adding an organic herbal blend
Oily and normal skin types benefit the most from facial steaming. The procedure can also be suitable for dry skin, as long as you follow up with a rich moisturizer afterwards because steam can be somewhat dehydrating. Meanwhile, those with severe acne or rosacea should first consult a doctor before trying an at-home steam.
You can actually do facial steaming with water alone, or you can take it a step further by adding an organic herbal like Earthwise Beauty's handpicked collection of herbs and flowers that have been carefully selected for their nurturing, anti-inflammatory, and reparative properties. You can also make your own herbal blend, as long as only pick plants that have not been exposed to pesticides and other chemicals. Remember to research the uses and potential side effects of each herb before adding it to your blend, and pick flowers and herbs at their peak.
To do an organic at-home herbal facial steam, simply follow these steps:
- Prepare your materials. You will need a heatproof bowl (a stainless steel one is best will allow the infusion to remain hotter longer, but if you don't have one, then a ceramic bowl will do); about 4 to 5 tablespoons of your chosen dried herbal blend; a towel big enough to cover the bowl and your head during the steam session, and 1 to 2 cups of boiling, filtered water.
- Wash and cleanse the face thoroughly.
- Place the herbal blend in your bowl and pour the boiling water over it.
- Using the towel to trap the steam, lean over the bowl to allow the steam to caress your face. It should be warm, not scorching hot.
- Steam your face for 15 to 30 minutes. If needed, you may reheat the infusion to produce more steam if it cools too quickly.
After steaming, follow with a face mask or a deep acting serum like Earthwise Beauty's Ferns and Moss Face serum.
In the meantime, you can strain the herbal infusion and use it as a final hair rinse to add nourishment.